Teacher Open House at VanDusen Botanical Garden2017-08-31 10 am - 12 pm Location: VanDusen Botanical Garden
Come to VanDusen and discover the many ways that our 55-acre, living classroom supports the new BC curriculum through field trips, teacher Pro-D workshops, organic gardening and ecology courses, and special events such as Pollinator Days. Free, Garden Admission included!
August 31, 10am – 12 noon
The Vancouver Botanical Gardens Association (VBGA) is pleased to welcome teachers to VanDusen Botanical Garden for a showcase of educational programming for the upcoming school year. This year, we have expanded opportunities in ecological studies, focused engagement in nature, and best practices in organic urban food gardening. Through inquiry-based learning, we aim to foster interest, appreciation and understanding of the natural world and the importance of plants in our lives, and empower the next generation of environmentally-responsible citizens and community leaders.
- Sample activities from our guided field trips and tours for Elementary school students.
- Tour the Garden with VanDusen Educators, learning how to implement our curriculum with their students.
- Enter the black light cave for the See like a Bee activity, and learn about Pollinator Days 2018.
- Learn about 3 teacher Pro-D workshops this fall: School Garden Ecology Workshop, Inspire Environmental Awareness in your Students, and Drawing Nature
- See how VBGA program pedagogy aligns with the new curriculum’s emphasis on core skills and competencies for lifelong learning.
- Sign up for free gardening and ecology classes.
- Visit VanDusen’s library, and peruse the extensive reference and children’s nature-based literature.
- Enter a drawing for loads of great prizes, including Connecting to Nature tours for students, Pro-D workshops, books and more!
Please bring your school/teacher/BCTF ID to the event to present at sign-in.
For more information, contact Gillian Drake at email@example.com or 604.257.8669.