Are you interested in joining our team? See below for current employment opportunities.
If you are looking for volunteer opportunities, please read about our positions available here.
+-Canadian Heritage Educator
The Canadian Heritage Project, developed and managed by the Vancouver Botanical Garden Association, was created in response to the interests of the Garden visitors and the broader community. This project aims to incorporate Canadian natural and cultural heritage into our educational programs by highlighting and complementing our existing collections and resources including the Canadian Medicinal Garden, Canadian Heritage Garden, Cascadia Garden, BC Bird Habitat, and medicine wheel ceremonies. Read the full position description>>
+-Summer Camp Leaders
Vancouver Botanical Gardens Association is seeking four summer camp leaders to plan and deliver day camps for children ages 5-10 at VanDusen Botanical Garden. Read the full position description>>
+-Director of Development
A coveted development leadership opportunity set at the idyllic VanDusen Botanical Gardens is currently available. The Vancouver Botanical Gardens Association (VBGA) is seeking a non-profit fund raising professional to assume the role of Director of Development.
The VBGA works in partnership with the Vancouver Park Board (VPB) to promote and enhance the VanDusen Botanical Garden and the Bloedel Conservatory, two treasured assets in the heart of the City of Vancouver.
The VBGA is currently seeking a Development Director to oversee our donor engagement program and manage our fundraising initiatives. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing our non-profit’s fundraising programs, communicating with current and prospective donors, and building a stronger development team for our organization. This position involves managing individual and corporate gifts as well as planned gifts, and annual giving campaigns. If you have a strong background in non-profit fundraising and development, we encourage you to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Executive Director, this role represents a key interface and principal contact point between the VBGA and our valued donors and supporters. As such, a skilled and polished relationship manager is required in this role. Key duties include:
- Developing and overseeing our fundraising programs, including strategy development and implementation
- Developing and implementing a long term planned giving program, while building relationships with potential donors and the legal community dealing with wills and estates
- Overseeing all aspects of donor stewardship and recognition throughout the lifecycle of engagement
- Managing ongoing contact with existing and future donors via frequent face to face interactions
- Identifying prospective individual and corporate donors and developing strategies to cultivate those relationships
- Conducting research and maintaining a pipeline of new donor prospects
- Managing data collection and ongoing maintenance of our donor database
- Maintaining ongoing communications with individual and corporate donors
- Researching donor relations programs at comparable institutions
- Ensuring timely and accurate reporting to the Executive Director and Board
- Producing briefing notes for use of Executive Director during joint face to face meetings with major donors
- Planning and collaborating with staff on the management and delivery of fundraising events and donor receptions
- Developing print and online marketing collateral related to fundraising
- Managing corporate and foundation relations as they relate to donations and grants
- Working with key stakeholders such as the Resource Development Committee of the Board of Directors, the Director of Finance, the Garden Director and other team members
This is a unique opportunity for a mid-career professional to assume a leadership role while working with and being mentored by an Executive Director who is a renowned expert in development. Key qualifications and skills required include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Communications or related field
- 5 to 7 years of front line, face to face development experience, preferably in major gifts and/or planned giving
- Foundation relationship and grant writing experience
- Familiarity with donor management databases such as Donor Perfect or Raiser’s Edge
- Proficiency with relevant technology applications, including knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Excellent written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Highly polished relationship management skills
- Confidence and poise in major donor interactions
- Positive attitude and team orientation
- Management experience of at least one staff person or more
- Understanding of current trends in philanthropy, professional development and best practices in the charitable sector
To learn more about this high impact opportunity, and to apply, please contact Anna Shojania, BA, MBA at email@example.com